Tuesday 7 June 2022

Why Do I Write?

From the moment I read paranormal romance, I fell in love with it.  

I've never been a particularly romantic person in real life, and I wonder if that's unusual for a romance author, or if we put it all into our writing, so we're not so interested in the reality of it. 

Still, give me an alpha male who knows what he wants, and a woman who makes it complicated for him, and I'm sold. Shifter romance is my jam, but whatever the genre, what is it that makes writers write? I can only answer for myself. 

Imaginary Friends

If I don't get them onto paper, the characters don't leave me alone. The persistent little buggers demand their story be told, and even when I'm writing it, they make their presence known. I can have full-on conversations with them. They're always there and until it's written, they're in my head. 

Living in Little Worlds

I have many different worlds inside my head. Many different stories. They're set on earth, in space, in fantasy worlds. I can visit them anytime and I often do. There's a universe in my mind. 

Words Are Brilliant

The words we choose, the words we like; we build our style on our word preferences. Words are amazing, the way you can make people see what you see. See what's in your mind. In your heart. 

Paranormal Romance is Key

Shifter romance, werewolf romance, vampire romance. The possibilities for a romance writer are endless. Is it any wonder I love reading these romance novels as much as I enjoy writing them? 

Karma

Okay, I probably shouldn't admit it, but it's cathartic adding people who frustrate you in real life to your work in progress and giving them their karmic retribution. Think you got away with shoddy behaviour. Not in my mind, you didn't. 

It's Bloody Fun

It's as simple as that. Writing is fun. That doesn't mean it isn't agony and torturous and exhausting and infuriating. But at the end of the day, it's a pretty good way to spend my time. 

Romance Author Forever

Yes, paranormal romance is my favourite, but when it comes to reading I'm less picky. Shifter romance is the best, and as an indie writer, it's my go-to genre. It doesn't mean it's all I'll ever write. 

Stay tuned, and if you want to follow my goings-on, you can do that on my author website

No comments:

Post a Comment